Following on from the ISTQB Foundation Certificate, the Advanced Test Manager Certificate provides the next level of knowledge and practical expertise in the ISTQB Advanced Certification scheme. It is one of three certified software testing training courses at Advanced level (the other two being Advanced Test Analyst and Advanced Technical Test Analyst).
This course prepares participants for thea dvanced test manager examination which builds upon the Foundation level.
The 5-day tutor led software testing training course has been designed to enable participants understand, apply and analyse key testing principles and processes. It addresses key test management topics such as risk-based testing, estimation and planning, process improvement, people skills and team composition amongst others.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
• Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing organization.
• Organize and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test estimation, planning, monitoring and control.
• Create and implement test plans consistent with organizational policies and test strategies.
• Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve project objectives.
• Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders.
• Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate insourcing adequate resources.
• Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team.
• Propose a business case for test activities which outlines the costs and benefits expected.
• Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders.
• Participate in and lead test process improvement initiatives.
Who should attend
This course is aimed at testing practitioners, responsible for organising and improving the testing process, i.e. project managers, project leaders, test managers, quality managers, test team leaders, senior test personnel and test analysts.
Delegates must already have passed the ISTQB Foundation Certificate
Course Content The course follows the ISTQB Advanced Level – Test Manager 2012syllabus and covers the following:
1. Testing Processes
• Test planning & Control
• Project Retrospectives
2. Test Management
• Test Management Tasks
• Risk based testing
• Test documentation & Standards
• Distributed, outsourced and insourced forms of test organizations
• Planning reviews
• Review Metrics
• Leading reviews
4. Defect Management
• Defect Lifecycle Tailoring
• Process capability evaluation based on defect report analysis
5. Improving the Test Process
• Generic steps in a process improvement initiative
• Process improvement planning
• Test process improvement models TMMi, TPI Next, CTP and STEP
6. Test Tool Automation
• Planning and implementing tool selection
• Tools for metrics collection and evaluation
7. People Skills – Team Composition
• Assessing skills availability (soft, technical, business, etc) required for a test team
• Defining growth plan for skills development
• Team Motivation
• Communication skills
ISTQB Certified Tester Advanced Level –Test Manager (CTAL – TM)
Accreditation body UKITB on behalf of ISTQB
There are a number of options to take the exam. The traditional approach was classroom invigilation or vouchers for Computer Centre exams. However, there is now the option to take the online proctored exam.
It is a three hour exam, consisting of 60multiple choice questions. To gain the Advanced Level – Test Manager Certification, a delegate must get at least 65%.